Tuesday, April 7, 2015

2015 Cabbage Challenge

My student brought home a cabbage plant- now what???


Your third grader should have brought home a cabbage plant today with an informational sheet and growing guide.  These cabbage plants were provided free by Bonnie Plants.  The students are challenged to tend to their cabbage plant all summer.  When the cabbage is ready to harvest, they should weigh their cabbage and email me a digital photo of their cabbage and its weight.  Then enjoy a meal as a family using your home grown cabbage.  I will choose a winner for our classroom (a big, healthy looking cabbage) from the photographs to then submit to Bonnie Plants.  The winner is entered into a statewide random drawing for a $1000 scholarship.  This is a great way to get your student excited about gardening and being outside.  There are a lot of studies out there that remind us how important it is for children to spend time outdoors.


Your photograph submission is due to Mrs. Adams by September 20th, 2015.  I will have my same email address next year, so please submit there (meladams@howard-winn.k12.ia.us).  I hope I have lots of cabbages to choose from!  I encourage you to visit bonniecabbageprogram.com website to learn more about this fun challenge.  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment