Third Grade Reading Strategies & Skills
Friday, April 25, 2014
We finally managed to get our Arbor Day Field Trip at the Cresco Nature Center accomplished. The weather seemed to be against us for awhile! Today with the two hour late start due to fog, the field day organizers were wonderful about reorganizing the schedule and shortening sessions, so we could enjoy this beautiful Friday outside! Enjoy planting the tree your child brought home. Here is a recap of our day in pictures:
Thursday, April 17, 2014
My student brought home a cabbage plant- now what???
Your third grader should have brought home a cabbage plant yesterday with an informational sheet and growing guide. These cabbage plants were provided free by Bonnie Plants. The students are challenged to tend to their cabbage plant all summer. When the cabbage is ready to harvest, they should weigh their cabbage and email me a digital photo of their cabbage and its weight. Then enjoy a meal as a family using your home grown cabbage. I will choose a winner for our classroom (a big, healthy looking cabbage) from the photographs to then submit to Bonnie Plants. The winner is entered into a statewide random drawing for a $1000 scholarship. This is a great way to get your student excited about gardening and being outside. There are a lot of studies out there that remind us how important it is for children to spend time outdoors.
Your photograph submission is due to Mrs. Adams by September 20th, 2014. I will have my same email address next year, so please submit there (email@example.com). I hope I have lots of cabbages to choose from! I encourage you to visit bonniecabbageprogram.com website to learn more about this fun challenge. Good Luck!
Monday, April 14, 2014
I was just looking at the calendar, and can't believe how busy we will be during the next month and a half. The year will fly by! Here is a heads-up on some of the special events and activities that are on our third grade schedule for April and May to mark on your calendar.
- April 10th- Attend the Lime Springs' Theatre Troupe's Spring Play "Holka Polka" at the Lime Springs Methodist Church
- April 16th- Walking Field Trip to the Lime Springs' Public Library for National Library Week
- April 17th- Annual School-Wide Dads and Doughnuts serving starting at 7:45 AM- Be sure to RSVP to Connie in the office the number in your family attending.
- April 17th- PATT Sponsored Spring Fitness Afternoon at the Chester Roller Rink (K-5)
- April 18th- No School- Happy Easter!
- April 21st-25th- 3rd Grade Spring MAPS Testing
- April 24th- Arbor Day Field Trip to the Cresco Nature Center (District-Wide)
- April 5th- 9th- Career Week at Lime Springs/Chester Elementary
- April 9th- Annual School-Wide Moms and Muffins serving starting at 7:45 AM- Be sure to RSVP to Connie in the office the number in your family attending.
- April 9th- Come dressed as a job you would want in the future
- May 20th- PATT Sponsored Movie Afternoon at the Cresco Movie Theatre (K-5)
- May 30th- 3rd Grade Field Trip to Wabasha, Minnesota (District-Wide)- You will need to make arrangements to have your third grader to school by 7:25AM that morning and to pick-up from school around 3:45PM. I'll be sending more information about this when the trip gets closer.
- June 3rd- Last Day of School