Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mrs. P's Writing Contest

Earlier this year, the third graders had a chance to skype with Mrs. P (TV actress Kathy Kinney) in California to learn more about getting ideas to write about.  Mrs. P encouraged each 3rd grade class to enter her annual "Be a Famous Writer" contest. 

During the last month, students enjoyed drafting different stories about time travel which is the theme of this year's contest.  We shared our drafts and voted on one that we thought would be a great class submission to the contest.  Congratulations and thank you to Delaney for writing a great draft that inspired the class.  As a class we adopted Delaney's original draft, and it used it to discuss the steps in writing process.  Delaney had completed the first two steps of prewriting and drafting for the class.  We then worked on step three which is revision.  When we revise we look at our story and we make it better.  What can we add, change, or describe more, so our story can be the best that it can be.  The class then worked together to proofread the story (fixing any mistakes). 

Today I'm excited to say that we officially shared our story with Mrs. P which is the final step in the writing process- publishing.  Win or lose- it is fun to do our best and participate in her contest.  Each student will now be taking one of their own drafts and working through the writing process to publish it.  I can' t wait to read all the wonderful final products.  Below is our class's time travel story.  Enjoy!


The Amazing Adventure
By Mrs. Adams’ Third Grade Class
Once I was walking to the museum where I saw the old times where they didn’t have TV, iPads, phones, and electronics.  So I said, “I wish I could go their mom.”  She said, “Really?” “Yes,” I said back and with a click we were back in time.
 I said, “Where are we?”  I looked for my mom.  It took me a little time to find her, but I did.  I was getting really cold.  Mom said, “Look!”  So I looked and I noticed everything was covered with snow and ice.  It was the ice age!  My mom and I both said, “Wow!” because we saw cavemen and dinosaurs. 
So we took a walk around.  We were walking and suddenly a caveman popped out from behind a snow bank.  We screamed and started to run away.  The caveman chased after us.  We ran into some rocks and found a cave to hide in.  We were in the cave and we heard a thump and a growl.
 We looked behind us and realized a humongous dinosaur was behind us.  We ran out of the cave and hid in a hole in the snow.  I whispered to Mom, “Let’s get out of here and go home.” 
Then we tried to get out of there, but we couldn’t so we kept walking.  We asked a nearby caveman how to get home.  He said to go west to get to a teleport.  We did and found it.  It was locked. 
We kept walking looking for someone.  We found someone, but unfortunately he was frozen.  Then he moved, so I said, “Hello.”  He replied, “Hi.”  “Can you help us?” I asked.  Then he said, “Hug me.”  “Hug me?” I questioned.  “Yes, then I can get you home,” he said.  “OK,” I answered.  “Mom let’s go hug him,” I told her.  “OK,” she answered.   “Ready,” I said.  “Yes!” she exclaimed.  “Go,” and with a click we were…..still not home.
 “I thought you said you wanted to go here,” the caveman said.  “You better get us home,” I yelled.  “I will,” he insisted.  “Ready, set, go,” yelled Mom and I.  With a click we were back home. 
“Let’s go to our house now, Mom,” I said.  “Yes, we need to feed our pets, Clementine and Delta,” said Mom.  But when we got home we started to laugh because the caveman was there!  We said, “Dad.”  He said, “What?”  We asked, “Why are you dressed up like that?”  He answered, “Because you saw cavemen and I wanted to see some too.”  Just then Delta and Clementine came in and they were dressed up too.  I said, “Mom………”  Then we all laughed and lived happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment